Growing vegetables at home requires patience and skill. Here is a tip that will allow you to grow potatoes simply at home, and you avoid a detour to the supermarket.
What you need :
- First, you will need a bag. You can use any bag, but it has to be big.
- You will need 35 liters of compost. It will be necessary to add compost to the bag as the potatoes begin to grow. Prefer slightly damp compost for better results.
- The fertilization step is important, buy 45 grams of organic potato fertilizer that you will disperse in the bag after placing the potatoes there.
- Once you have gathered these elements, you will need 4 or 5 pre-sprouted potatoes. Indeed, pre-germinate the tubers of this vegetable can earn two to three weeks.
Here’s how to plant your pre-sprouted potatoes:
- Begin by piercing the bottom of the bag before filling it with compost at a height of 10 cm.
- Place the pre-sprouted potatoes on the surface, be sure to disperse them with a distance of 20 to 40 cm between each plant.
- Spread evenly the 45 grams of organic potato fertilizer, making sure they do not touch the potatoes.
- Add between 5 cm and 15 cm of compost to cover the potatoes. Due to the humidity of the compost, you can dispense with watering for a week.
- Once the potatoes begin to grow, you can unfold the edges of the bag and add more compost. Water if necessary, but do not pour a lot of water.
- In a few weeks, the potatoes will germinate to reach ten centimeters. Separate the seedlings carefully and cover them with compost. Let it grow by basting slightly.
For good results, the bag should be exposed to a sunny place. In addition, it is advisable to start planting between March and April for better harvests.